Articles Comments

Cooked From the Heart » chicken, Filipino, soup » Chicken Tinola

Chicken Tinola

My family loves fried chicken, so I usually indulge them. I on the other hand get so tired of it, I make something else for myself. I take the backs and wing tips, which no one really likes but me anyway, and I usually make either tinola or arroz caldo. I didn’t really have the usual vegetables for tinola, so I used cabbage and baby bok choy from our garden. It still came out pretty good.

: Chicken Tinola

: Filipino style chicken ginger soup with vegetables.

1. Chicken pieces (I used the backs and wings, but you can use any pieces you like)
  2. 2 garlic cloves, minced
  3. 1 small onion, sliced
  4. 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
  5. 1/2 head of small cabbage
  6. 1/2 lb. of baby bok choy
  7. Patis (fish sauce)
  8. 3 cups water
  9. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  1. Heat the oil and sautee the garlic, ginger and onions until fragrant.
  2. Add the chicken pieces and fish sauce (start with about 2 tablespoons and add more later if needed).
  3. Sautee for a few minutes, and add the water. Let it simmer until the chicken is tender.
  4. When the chicken is done, check the broth for seasoning and adjust.
  5. Add the vegetables, and cook just until they are wilted or changes color. If you like your vegetables more done, you can cook it longer. We like ours to still have a little bite to them.

Preparation time:

Cooking time:

Meal type: supper

UPDATED PHOTO (12/06/2010): I recently cooked this pepper leaves and green papayas, just the way it’s supposed to be. Click here for a new photo of chicken tinola.

Written by

Filed under: chicken, Filipino, soup · Tags: , ,

8 Responses to "Chicken Tinola"

hi Vhincent, you must be talking about malungay leaves. There’s an article and photos of it here: Malunggay Leaves

Thanks for dropping by :)

2. vhincent says:

Was looking for the small leaves that is also put in some tinola recipes ( it comes with the branches and you have to pick them one by one?)

Anyway your recipe looks great also! just dropping by :)

3. […] people because they were so flavorful. The Asian Pork and Noodle Soup tasted a bit like the Filipinos’ Tinola (due to the scent and taste of ginger) and the Cheesy Chicken Pasta Stew was to die […]

4. Jay says:

Interesting…i growing up in MN I only ever had cabbage in the tinola my lola made. She also added sutanhon (sp?)…celephane rice noodles. Ive always been interested how pinoy recipes have been somewhat altered to fit the local landscape. We never had problems finding patis though!

Hi Erwin, I’ve heard malunggay used for tinola before, my lola did the same, but I have never heard for jackfruit before! I am assuming you’re talking about the green jackfruit instead of the ripe?

Unfortunately, we don’t have 99 ranch here. I love 99 ranch! You must be in CA?

6. erwin says:

I sometimes use jackfruit and malunggay as a vegetable substitute. It’s available in many frozen section of asian stores like 99 ranch or Lyons.

Hi Bec, thanks for visiting. I too have had a hard time looking for the traditional tinola ingredients, like green papaya and sili leaves, so I improvise. Chayote which is now pretty common in grocery stores is a pretty good substitute for green papaya.

8. Bec says:

Thanks for posting this recipe! I was out surfing for recipes and found yours. My Lola’s recipe doesn’t have papaya in it, though.

It’s funny, but I didn’t grow up with tinola with papaya. Growing up in the Seattle area, there’s not much call for good papaya back in the 60s/70s. So my lola omitted it and I’ve never really thought much about how different it tastes from the ‘authentic.’

She also skipped the patis since high blood pressure ran in our family and the fish sauce tended to aggrevate it.