Articles Comments

Cooked From the Heart » Filipino, secret pot, vegetables » Dinengdeng

Dinengdeng

This is my lola’s favorite dish. Not a week goes by that she doesn’t cook ‘dinengdeng’, a typical ilokano dish, at least once. She usually puts fried fish for flavor, but when it isn’t available, it’s just as good by itself. It also lends itself well when you only have a little bit of each vegetable, just as what I had recently. I had about 4 okra pods, the last harvest from our plant before the frost got to it; same thing with the eggplants and baby bok choy. I cleaned out the garden before the first hard freeze of the season. So this is a miniscule portion that I cooked for myself since the girls aren’t too crazy about dinengdeng. It satisfied my craving, used up the little vegetable on hand, and made me miss my lola :(.

To make dinengdeng is very simple. Boil about 2 cups of water, and add about 1 tablespoon of black bagoong juice. Pangasinan style bagoong. My lola uses ‘monamon’ bagoong, similar to anchovies, which she puts in a bowl, adds some water, and renders the flavor from the bagoong while straining out the solids and bones from the fish. I took the easy road though and just used the bottled bagoong sauce. TingAling used a similar process in making her pinakbet. After the water has been flavored with the bagoong, I added some of the cherry tomatoes I had in the freezer which were harvested at the end of the summer; I think I added about 5-8. I didn’t have any leftover fried fish to flavor this with, so it’s strictly vegetables only, but the flavor was still good. At this point, I added the vegetables: baby bokchoy, eggplant, okra, and a handful of frozen baby lima beans. Cook until everything is tender.

Written by

Filed under: Filipino, secret pot, vegetables

13 Responses to "Dinengdeng"

1. juju says:

I cook that a lot and I do love it.I even put in some onions and an egg to make the soup thicker and yes camote or sweet potatoes are also good.

2. buring says:

i like dinengdeng with saluyot and roasted dalag..or roasted tilapia. or with fried gurgurami..

3. [...] our lola we learned to love KAMOTE SALAD AND DINENGDENG and consequently, bagoong. I think that’s why all her great grandchildren love to eat their [...]

4. jayms says:

naimas ti dinengdeng heheheh

5. Jay says:

ilokano kayu met gayam :)

dati, nagsasawa na ako sa ganito but a month ago, no more pork diet kaya back to inabraw ken intuno :)

hi noes, thanks for the clarification and for commenting on this post. You just reminded me how I miss this dish. Good thing the garden is livening up again :)

7. noes says:

dinengdeng and inabraw are the same.

8. Anonymous says:

I also like dinengdeng, my moms use to make it for me. nice blog by the way

9. rva says:

wow, nagimas daytoy dinengdengmon, manang! super!

mannurat

Hi TingAling, Dina and Manang! Once in a while I just get a craving for dinengdeng that won’t go away, and this simple version is usually good enough.

Manang, I have never heard of the terms buridibod or inabraw, but I do remember my family fixing dinengdeng with sweet potatoes. Check out Mannurat’s comments on TingAling’s blog on her inabraw recipe. He suggested using any leafy vegetables like pechay, kamote leaves or ampalaya leaves. I am going to try planting ampalaya next summer so I can have some leaves. I hear they freeze well.

11. Manang says:

I love this dish too! Prior to reading this post I did not know that those beans are Lima beans. Thanks for the info!
    I recently bought 2 camotes in my craving to cook buridibod (if you are familiar with that?) but we don’t have malunggay leaves here. Can you suggest a good alternative?

12. Dina says:

I love dinengdeng. it’s my favorite Ilokano dish. I fish around for the slimy okra. YUM. Which reminds me I haven’t asked my mom to make me any in a long time. She normally puts in leftover fried bangus, but i prefer shrimps.

13. ting-aling says:

JMom, I cooked this too last night. BTW, while playing with my templates, I accidentally did something to my site that my address is now at: http://www.worldclasscuiscene.blogspot.com. Blogger won’t let me go back. Kindly make the necessary change to your link…sowi.