Articles Comments

Cooked From the Heart » Filipino, seafood, shrimps, soup, vegetables » Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimp in Sour Soup)

Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimp in Sour Soup)

For our Friday night fish dinner, I decided on soup for these “head-on” shrimps that are so hard to come by around here. These again are fresh Carolina shrimps I chanced upon at the grocery store. My girls and I love soupy dishes, and this was a welcome one, despite the heat. The Clone had her vegetarian meal since I still can’t get her to eat any kind of seafood. I am proud to say, that all the vegetables for this dish came from our garden.

Sinigang na Hipon

6 cups of water
1 small onion, sliced
1 cup of cherry tomato, halved
1 pound of shrimp with head on
2 small japanese eggplants
1/2 pound of long beans, cut into 2 inch length
1/2 pound of baby bok choy
2 fresh cayenne peppers
Tamarind Powder (Mama Sita’s sigang mix)
Salt to taste

Bring the water to a boil and add the onions and tomatoes. Wait until it comes back to a boil, add the long beans as they cook the longest, and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the eggplants, shrimps, peppers, and bok choy. When the soup comes back to a boil, add the seasonings: tamarind powder and salt to taste, adjust as needed. Take off from the heat to avoid over cooking the vegetables.

I like to have a cup of soup on the side to start the meal. Yumm! Easy, eh?
Cup of Sour Soup

Written by

Filed under: Filipino, seafood, shrimps, soup, vegetables

16 Responses to "Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimp in Sour Soup)"

1. [...] you’re more into seafood, you can try this sour soup with shrimps or fish or any other seafood you would [...]

2. One of my favorite Filipino dishes! Sinigang na hipon and sinigang na bangus at http://www.myfilipinorecipes.com/seafood/sinigang-na-bangus-recipe.html . Great recipe!

3. I really love Filipino foods specially your sinigang. I miss these recipes back home in the Philippines. thanks a lot for sharing!

4. [...] Kitchen Amoore’s Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimp in Sour Soup) [...]

5. Sinigang says:

Hi!

Your Sinigang looks really delicious!

I’m collecting a list of the best sinigang recipes in my blog, and I included your sinigang recipe (just a link though, hope you don’t mind). You can see it at

Keep in touch!

Tanya Regala

6. toninoname says:

I love the taste of sinigang na hipon. Most of people I know even foreigners love the sour taste of sinigang. I tried the Pinakbet I found on http://www.filipino-foods.com. My friends love it! Thanks for this post!

Click here for Filipino Food recipes!

7. [...] of our throats, a sure sign that a cold is on the way, we make us a pot of very sour soup called sinigang. It is full of vegetables and you can make it as sour and as spicy as you can stand it. It wipes [...]

8. stef says:

oooh…. i do have some garden goodies that would make good sinigang. thanks for the reminder!

Hi everyone! Yes, the garden has been great and we’ve enjoyed its bounty immensely. It was really rewarding. I almost to see it end its cycle again. We’ll try planting fall veggies next, so we’ll see how that goes.

Obachan, thanks for the tag :-) I’ll get to it soon.

10. joey says:

Wow! You are lucky to be able to get all that from your garden! Had sinigang today but with bangus…sadly no garden to harvest so all the veggies came from the market…

11. drstel says:

congrats JMom santos is right, bounty it is.
    it makes me all drooly imagining the sour soup…my kids love to have that cup of soup on the side as well.

12. obachan says:

Fresh Carolina shrimps and fresh vegees from your garden! I envy you so much, JMom.

BTW, I’m tagging you for Five Childhood Food Memories Meme, if you don’t mind. Check out my site to participate (and see my childhood photos, too ;))

13. dexiejane says:

i could almost smell it :)

14. thess says:

nakaka homesick na recipe! :-)

have a fine weekend, Jmom!

15. Jeanny says:

galing…all those veggies are from your garden :D

Hmmm…that looks yummy :D

16. Santos says:

hi jmom–i’m impressed by your garden bounty!