LP2 – Ligo Sardines Sauteed with Bok Choy

When we were growing up in the Philippines, specifically Baguio, what I remember the most with every impending storm was the sirens. My friend TingAling provides a colorful description of the signaling system and other Baguio experiences in her entry. When the sirens go off, we knew that school will be cancelled and we’ll be house bound for a couple of days at least. That’s the good thing. The bad thing is, Baguio is a mountain town, and gets a lot of it’s meats, fish, and other staples from the lowlands. Usually trucked up the winding roads that are prone to mud slides whenever a big storm comes, leaving the city without the basic necessities for days.

Ligo Sardines When the refrigerator has been emptied and all fresh produce have been consumed, it’s time to break into the canned goods. This is my favorite, and to this day, I keep at least a couple of cans in the cupboard at all times. Ligo sardines, of course!

Our househelp, trained by no other than my lola, believe it or not, can transform this measly 5.5 oz. of sardines to feed 4 to 5 people, especially if three of them are kids like we were. She used to put so much sabaw (soup) that we just called it sardine soup.

This is my version, which I have on occation, last night was one of them just so I could post it today πŸ˜‰ Since I would be the only one eating it, kids and hubby had pizza, I made it spicier than usual.

Ginisang Sardinas na may Pechay

1 tablespoon Oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 can of Ligo Sardines
4 cups of sliced BokChoy or pechay (or anything green and leafy)
1 teaspoon of fresh Habanero pepper, chopped
Patis to taste
waterHeat oil and sautee garlic and onions until fragrant. Add tomatoes and peppers and cook for another minute or two, then add the can of sardines. Add a can full of water and let it come to a boil. Adjust the seasoning with the patis, then add the vegetables. Cook just until the bok choy is warmed through but not overcooked. Serve over rice.

9 comments on “LP2 – Ligo Sardines Sauteed with Bok Choy
  1. Anonymous says:

My wife makes a really great meal with sardines and misua noodles. Masarap!

Sunshine’s-Sari-Sari
    Online Tatak Pilipino Store

2. stef says:

hi jmom, we do love our sardines, don’t we? this is something i haven’t tried — love that it’s healthy AND spicy! that habanero there must pack some mean punch!

3. drstel says:

JMom,
    can’t live without sardines! especially now that they say it’s good for my achey bones, and now that you’ve posted this lovely spicy dish.

4. joey says:

Another clever and yummy way to have sardinas! πŸ™‚ They are truly a wonder food…especially in emergencies! I also like making them into a spread for palaman in sandwiches or as an appetizer with crackers. So much mileage from sardinas! πŸ™‚

5. ting-aling says:

Reminds me of Sayote and Sardines. ‘ever tried that?

6. celia kusinera says:

That’s a good idea – sardines with pechay in a soup. Nice. Home economics is really abt stretching whatever you have. You have to hand it to our parents on how they can make a small can of sardines feed a family of 5. LOL!

Thanks again for joining LP2. πŸ™‚

7. jeanny says:

tamang taman, i had this for lunch and Im still craving for it. guess i go to try that for dinner

8. mike mina says:

Hi JMOm, thanks for visiting my blog . . . Your version reminds me of my tatay & nanay’s ginisang sardinas — masabaw and with pechay, and indeed it can be shared by a family of 6! It’s friday tomorrow and I am going to cook monggo again. I just never figured out why pinoys everywhere cook monggo on fridays . . . and I never figure out why I still do it . . . Great posts!

9. dexiejane says:

wow, i never thought you could make sardines with vegetable. i remember eating it as is with rice of course. looks good, masubukan nga πŸ™‚