Articles Comments

Cooked From the Heart » seafood » Pastry Wrapped Tilapia

Pastry Wrapped Tilapia

Pastry-Wrapped-Fish
This was such a pleasant experiment that we have since cooked this dish with different meats and fillings. The puff pastry is just perfect for making surprise wraps. Here is how we did this pastry wrapped tilapia:

STUFFING MIXTURE:
1 lb. of mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Saute’ mushrooms, garlic, and onions in butter until mushrooms are slightly browned and all juices have evaporated. Stir in pecans and set aside to cool.

POACH TILAPIA FILLETS:
4 Tilapia fillets
salt & pepper
6 tablespoons milk.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season the fish with salt & pepper. Place about 1 tablespoon of the stuffing mix on top of the fish and roll up. Secure the roll with a toothpick so it doesn’t unroll during cooking. Place rolled fillets in an oven-safe dish with 6 tablespoons of milk and cover. Poach for 10 minutes in the oven.

ASSEMBLE PACKETS:
Stuffing mixture, left over
Poached Tilapia
2 green onions cut into inch lengths
2 sheets of frozen puff pastry (thawed)
1 egg, beaten
poppy seeds

After poaching, drain the fish rolls and place on one end of a halved pastry sheet. Place green onion slices on top of fish and divide the remaining stuffing mix between four servings, arranging the stuffing around the rolled fish fillets. Fold over the other end of the pastry sheet to cover the fish holls and seal the sides shut by pressing the pastry between your fingers. Brush the top of pastry packs with the beaten egg mixture to create a sheen and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Repeat until you have all the fish rolles encased in pastry. Place the packets on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.

Serve.
Mar19_06 052

Written by

Filed under: seafood

9 Responses to "Pastry Wrapped Tilapia"

1. [...] Pastry Wrapped Tilapia Recipe here [...]

2. Lani says:

I’m thinking now, where can I find puff pastry here in Pinas? Parang wala akong nakikita sa grocery/supermarket. I’ll try to find one.

For sure, super sarap ng recipe na ito.

Thanks JMom for sharing.

Hi rowena! me too! when I was growing up, tilapia along with catfish were “ditch” fish, and now tilapia is the new rage :-) Yes, they are farmed over here and don’t look anything like the tilapia I am used to seeing.

Hi ces! thanks. I know what you mean, sometimes my grocery list looks like it is culled from food blogs :-)

Hi sis! these puff pastry things were a great discovery. I love them now, and have plenty of ideas on how to use them next. xoxo

Hi thess! good to ‘c’ you back! The little chefs are all well and cooking away :)

Hi chas! you can probably substitute any white fish found over there. We didn’t have tilapia here in NC when we first moved here, then when we finally got them, I resisted paying the exorbitant prices they were asking for. Now they are more reasonable and we have tilapia regularly now. Sadly, it’s always the filleted variety :-( I’d like the whole fish once in a while.

Hi stel! thanks! We liked it since it’s a different and new way of serving the same old fish :-) I still like the whole inihaw na tilapia with tomatoes and patis though. Yumm!

4. drstel says:

what a great idea JMom!

5. Chas Ravndal says:

very nice! looks tasty as well! sadly if i am gonna try this i’ll just substitute tilapia since we dont have it here

6. thess says:

Hello JMom! how are you and the little chefs? long time no ‘c’ (^-^)

‘never had fish in pastry before so I copied your recipe and will surely try this, thanks for sharing.

regards from Holland

7. Omom says:

Y’know, after your last pastry meal I forgot to ask which dough you used. The last time I was in the grocery I thought I’d try doing soething like that but I bought the pizza dough instead. Glad you linked up which pastry dough you used, I just had one of those “aha” moments. Thanks.
    xoxo
    SisO

8. ces says:

looks so pro! puff pastry and tilapia..two of my faves rolled into one! eto na naman ako…i will scout for this pepperidge farm puff pastry in the grocery …thanks!

9. rowena says:

This looks really good, I mean really good! I’m a fan of anything savory wrapped in pastry. Interesting fact on tilipia…it’s pretty much a “ditch” fish where I’m from and no one would think of eating them, but a friend from Vegas says that they are easy to be found in the market (I guess tilapia are farmed over there?). Hmmm…