Articles Comments

Cooked From the Heart » desserts, Filipino, Lasang Pinoy, Rice » LP 10 – Childhood Memories – Bibingka

LP 10 – Childhood Memories – Bibingka

mochicoOne of the first memories we probably all have as children are sweets. I am no different. Birthday cakes were a big hit, but charcoal baked bibingkas were in a class all their own and evoke their very own special moments. It is a treat borne out of necessity, for I doubt that conventional ovens as we know them now were readily available back then. The ingenuity of foodies should not be under estimated though for we will find a way of doing things to attain the taste that we want. Sort of like the original mission of Lasang Pinoy, literally translated ‘tastes like Pinoy’.

When I was growing up in Baguio, birthday cakes and other western style treats were easier to find than real old fashioned bibingka. Sometimes you can only find them during holidays, but on auspicious evenings, walking home from the late show or the often late ending family gatherings, my dad would find enterprising vendors who hawk their specialty late into the night and sometimes extend into the early mornings.

batter3 batter

Of course, since moving to the U.S. this delicacy has become even harder to come by. This is a version of bibingka that is common among Filipino expats in the U.S. It never fails to materialize in every Filipino party that we attended. It is also one of the first cakes I learned to bake as a teenager.

While my grandmother used to grind her own rice flour on a stone grinder, my version starts with the ever dependable Mochico flour from the oriental market.

bibingka-2INGREDIENTS:
1 Box Mochico Flour
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 oz. sour cream
1 – 14 oz. can of Coconut Milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9×13 glass dish or in this case, one 9×9 dish and a couple of pie pans lined with banana leaves.

Cream the butter, sugar, and eggs. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Pour into pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.

bibingkaA big thanks to Buhay Cocinero for hosting this round of LP10.
I will be hosting the next round of Lasang Pinoy, so stay tuned for the next topic!

Written by

Filed under: desserts, Filipino, Lasang Pinoy, Rice · Tags: , ,

19 Responses to "LP 10 – Childhood Memories – Bibingka"

1. karen says:

Hi Jmom! Thanks for visiting my blog, i loved this recipe, it is really delicious! I’ve used rice flour for the first time in my life and it was really a good suprise.

2. melanie says:

Hi JMom, I linked to you from Obachan, from Christine (cristine.net). I, too, have fond memories of bibingka. That mochiko box really brought me back. Thank you/Salamat!

3. melanie says:

4. C(h)ristine says:

thank you so much for this recipe! i used it and the cake came out PERFECTLY. i credited your recipe on my food blog.

5. Cocinero says:

Hey Jmom, thank you for participating in the blogging event. My early childhood days was also spent in Baguio and it is always a second home for me. I’m not much with cakes but bibingka I do love most specially those prepared during the holiday season with queso de bola and red egg.
    CIAO!

6. jairam says:

mmmm…sarap, I can almost smell it cooking :)

7. obachan says:

Hi JMom,
    OMG. I’ve never ever thought about using mochiko for baking cakes, but yeah, it must be good! Sour cream and coconut milk. Mmm… sounds like something I should try. Can you tell me how much mochiko is contained in one box?

8. Marketmanila says:

I love bibingka…no red egg please but I just love bibingka. I even bought a clay pot to try and figure out how to make these at home complete with galvanized iron top section for charcoal but I haven’t gotten around to it yet!

9. drstel says:

copied, pasted. must try…thank you JMom, i feel like i’m missing something big, for not ever having this before. thank you for posting!

10. Typical INgredients says:

Hi JMom,

I finally made it to the test-LOL!

Thanks you so much for your help! I have to let all our fellow bloggers know that I just move to a new blog site…I appreciate your help – mas madali kasi if you can chat or talk to someone – mas madaling maintindihan at least now I dont have to keep bugging you about it! Thanks again!

Sarap naman ng bibingka mo at ang dali lang gawin – sana may makita akong Rice Flour…pahiran lang ng margarine masarap na – sigh!

Tin

11. boinky says:

Yum…love it.
    Have posted link from my blog so my homesick relatives can make it at home.

Hi mae! The sweet rice flour is available in most oriental markets. Try looking in yours, it may not be the same brand but it should work. I just like this brand the best. These are actually just called mochico now, not even bibinka anymore. I put a link to their site on the Mochico on the ingredients list.

13. mae says:

Oh my! Please can you email me a slice? Where am i going to find this box? I want. I want. I want! [like a kid! lol]

JMom, you are torturing me.

hi toni! speaking of butter… I forgot to tell you, when I was commenting on the condensed milk sammie, I almost said something about star margarine and sugar palaman! serendipitous, di ba? :-)

My kids used to laugh when I do the butter & sugar over pancakes until they tried it. Now they are fans too. So the childhood memories continue.

rowena! I should scold you too, how can you go without sinigang in your repertoir!!?? Filipino blood is laced with sinigang, don’t you know? :-D

Hi iska! yeah, I love the slightly burnt edges too, so I have another experiment in mind to make the bibingka. I think next time I’ll try cooking it on the grill, over live charcoals just to get the slightly charred taste.

Naku, lani nanginggit ka pa. I miss that so much, buying it from the vendors still warm, with the salted egg and cheese on top. Yumm!

hi ces! I am just loving this mochico stuff right now. I have other filipino sweets I’d like to try it on. Coming soon ang LP11, just get ready ;-) I’ll put out the guidelines as soon as the wrap up for LP10 is finished. Pa suspense ka muna :-D

15. ces says:

thanks for the recipe! i have mochiko in the cupboard! supposedly for puto…i think i’m making bibingka instead…so what’s up for lp11?:)

16. Lani says:

Yummy!

Mabuti na lang at may bibingkahan malapit dito sa place namin na nagtitinda sa buong taon. Kaya basta natakam ako sa bibingka, punta lang doon katulad ngayon.

I know na talagang namimiss ng mga kababayan natin ang bibingka dito sa atin.

17. iska says:

wow! oo nga i remember bibingka na medyo may tutong pa sa ilalim. we can still buy them back home. there’s this road from cavite to san pedro laguna… may nagtitinda mainit init pa!

i just finished my LP10 entry… in between trabaho :) i will be waiting for your LP announcement!

18. rowena says:

And now it will be a recipe for an American-Filipino expat in Italy! I love bibingka, but never made it before. Something that I better not let on to the old filipino ladies at hula lessons…already I got scolded because I didn’t know what was sinigang. Oh well…

19. Toni says:

Oh yum. Best with coconut and butter!