Beet Greens with Garlic

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Several people I know, and I did this too before I knew better, throw the tops of the beets away and just cook the roots. The green parts of the beets are actually very delicious. Since we’ve had a very successful crop of beets in our garden this year, we’ve had plenty of greens of every type. I haven’t had to buy any vegetables for at least a month now. When you grow things yourself, you tend to not want to waste any part of them, so I learned how to cook beet greens too. They are in the family as the swiss chard and spinach, I think, so they all have that wholesome earthiness to them.

You can add them in soups or other dishes or you can just cook them simply as I did. After thoroughly washing them, I simply sauteed these in olive oil and garlic and seasoned with a bit of sea salt. They were delicious!

6 comments on “Beet Greens with Garlic
  1. joey says:

I’m so jealous of your home grown veggies! 🙂 I would love to have my own stuff…maski konti lang. I live in a small flat in the city so no can do…that looks delicious!

Hi Manang, I do too love pickled beets. But even just plain boiled, the beet roots are delicious.

THESS!!! kumusta ka na? How’s the renovating going? hehe! kakatuwa ka, you use the balls? hihi! Having a garden is laking tipid talaga. I haven’t bought veggies in about a month now!

and thanks, I’m loving my new template too, especially this new commenting thing he did for me. Chas is really the best, ha?

3. thess says:

hi JMom! this is a great tip because I usually just use the balls and throw away the rest.
    you grow them? WOW! how I wish we have the weather for that. ‘Laking tipid.
    regards from Holland and btw, chas did a great job on the design, me like it (^-^)

4. Manang says:

I also cook them the same way (much like I would make ginisang pechay), only with some ground beef or pork, and the usual onions and garlic. Love them when freshly picked.

Hi Rebecca, I’m the same way, I hate to waste any part of them, so yes I do put all the stems too.

6. rebecca says:

just the leaves, or the stems, too? i love beets and hate to waste any part of them.