WHB #43 – Scarborough Faire Baked Chicken

Just because this is an HERBY dish, I decided to make this my entry for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging, which is back home in Kalyn’s Kitchen this week.

Are you going to Scarborough Faire…. Know that song? That is what this dish is named after. Why? Because it has parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, of course! All these herbs we have in our garden so I thought why not make a recipe out of the song and at the same time use these individually packaged chicken thighs that Costco, our favorite store, have started carrying. They contain 5 thighs in each pack which is perfect for our family, there’s five of us!

Chicken is cheap and baking is easy so a baked chicken dish of one sort or another is pretty common in our kitchen. This dish is something we came up with just to have something different for a change.

10 Chicken Thighs
3 Tablespoons Butter
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme (probaby about a tablespoon each, chopped)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups Flour
1 can Evaporated Milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place the butter in a baking dish in the oven, heated to 375 degrees, to melt. In the meantime, season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Coat each chicken piece with flour and lay on the baking dish skin side up. Pour the milk and about half a can of water in the dish, sprinkle with the herbs, and bake for 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour until the chicken is tender and the liquid has thickened to form a gravy.

This time served with Beet Greens with Garlic and as always, steamed rice.

This entry was posted in chicken, WHB on by .

About Jeanette Moore (JMom)

10 thoughts on “WHB #43 – Scarborough Faire Baked Chicken

1. Martha

Thank you for this recipe…I’m a vegetarian mum who needs inspiration when it comes to feeding the rest of my family. We only have rosemary and some lemon thyme in the garden so I’ll make due with those. Martha in London

2. Lisa

Hi there, I was searching for something to do with the chicken thighs I have in the fridge for tonight and came upon your recipe. I wanted to also use sage and rosemary from the big potted plants I recently brought inside for the winter — so here it all is! Thanks.

3. Christine

Oh, this looks so delicious. I’ve not used flour for dredging in a long time, but Kalyn’s suggestion for whole wheat and your scrumptious recipe are making me re-think!

4. ces

looks like you gave justice to chicken thighs! i’m one of those who’d rather have the ‘pwet’ in the chicken…hehe…but i know thighs are better, health-wise and if it’s cooked like you just did…
    my new job, it’s an engineering firm which isn’t exactly my kind of thing but so far so good…having problems though with my sched..summer camp of the kids is over and i can’t find a daycare who will accept samia who is almost 8…
    have a great week j!

5. JMom

Thanks, Charles. I like it because it is tasty and easy 🙂

Hi Mita! yes, no fuss but good flavor is a must for a working mom like me. And please do try it, and let me know how it comes out. Thanks!

6. JMom

Hi Kalyn! I have had this on my mind for so long, I was so glad when I finally had all the herbs in my garden 🙂 I think whole wheat flour would work well for this recipe, and you’re right the 2 cups of flour didn’t really go in the dish, that’s just the amount I used to dredge the chicken pieces in, and I threw out the extra. So the only flour in the dish really is what was stuck on the chicken pieces.

7. Mita

this looks good…I love baked chicken recipes cause they’re the ultimate in no-fuss but good flavor. May I try?

8. Kalyn

I really love the sound of this and I have all those herbs in my garden too. I might use whole wheat flour to make it more South Beach friendly, although I bet you’re not using that much flour. Thanks for thinking of me, because I’m having such a great time at Blogher.