Cooking Tip: What to do with hardened brown sugar?

brwnsugar

With summer’s rising humidity, I’m sure I am not the only one who has encountered this problem. Upon opening this not too airtight container, I found this block of brown sugar that is so hard, I probably would have had to have a chisel to break it up. Luckily, I remembered this tip from one of the many cookbooks and/or magazines I’ve come across (sorry I can’t remember which one now). To ‘thaw’ it out, simply stick it in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds and it is back to its soft stage again! No need to break out the chisel.

This entry was posted in Cooking Tips on by .

About Jeanette Moore (JMom)

9 thoughts on “Cooking Tip: What to do with hardened brown sugar?

1. JMom

Hi Ces, unfortunately, once the moisture gets in, it’s hard to get it out. Yes, it will get hard again. You might try putting a slice of bread in the container to absorb some of the moisture and maybe prevent it from clumping up again?

2. ces

hi j!
    thanks for the greetings and happy birthday too! roar!!!!
    when is your exact birth date???
    btw, i do this trick too! but with a moist paper towel on it. can i skip that part? does it get hard again after awhile? cause mine did:(

3. A

I usually get the brown sugar that is sold in a resealable bag. Haven’t had a problem with hardened brown sugar ever since. Also, there are these ceramic discs you can put with your brown sugar. I saw them on the food network show “Everyday Italian”.

4. JMom

Hi CeliaK, thanks šŸ™‚ I’m loving the new sking too, thanks to Chas.

Thanks for the apple tip, too!

Hi Joe, I’ve heard the bread tip before too. Thanks for reminding me. What are brown sugar bears? My imagination is running amok again šŸ™‚ trying to visualize brown sugar bears.

5. Joe

You can also get the same effect by placing a slice of bread in the storage container. The brown sugar bears are also good.

6. celiaK

Nice new blog skin, Jmom! Congrats!
    And thanks for that speedy tip. šŸ™‚
    I’ve also heard that putting in a slice of apple then sealing the bag will do the trick though definitely will take time.

7. Omom

Thanks for the tip, sis. I wish you posted this yesterday. I was making some marinade that required brown sugar and had this very same problem of hardened sugar. Had to bang it against the sink, the counter then finally used a butcher knife to cut through the brown rock! LOL! Ah well…