Purple Basil Chicken Bake

Purple Basil Chicken

If you hadn’t noticed already, yes, we do bake a lot of chicken. We have our favorite way which is also the simplest way, but once in a while, especially when we have an abundance of a particular ingredient (in this case purple basil), we like to change it up a bit just to have some variety. This is our experiment with purple pesto, and it turned out pretty well.

Purple BasilINGREDIENTS:
Juice from 2 limes
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup or 1/4 of large onion, roughly chopped
1 cup purple basil, chopped
3 Tbsp. pinenuts

Put all the ingredients above in a food processor to make a purple pesto.

Purple Basil PestoPre-heat oven to 350 F. Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper then spread the purple pesto over each piece. Put in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

This chicken was served with sauteed green beans and potatoes.

6 comments on “Purple Basil Chicken Bake
  1. gattina says:

Jmom,
    Thanks for more of your ideas! I’m used to saute this purple basil, so your dishes does expand my horizon! They all sound and look very good indeed!

2. Omom says:

I love cooking chicken…remember when I had the BF who only ate white breast chicken meat? Man, I was like Sheherazade with the meat…never the same recipe. It’s the chamelion of meats 🙂 This looks good, I’ll have to try the pesto sauce on some grilled chicken when I get back, bet it’ll be yummy!
    Hugs.

Hi Chas, Thanks!

Hi Leah, purple basil is milder than sweet basil. I hope you get to try it 🙂

Hi gattina, yes, I used thai purple basil. BTW, purple basil pasta is good on pasta too! the flavor is a lot milder. I used it with some wheat spaghetti, it was yummy!

4. gattina says:

I have thai purple basil, is it the same basil you used Jmom?

5. Leah says:

looks real yummy…I’ve never seena purple basil.. Let me look for one so I can try this recipe.

6. charles ravndal says:

That looks quite inviting ate! This is a nice addition for chicken recipes