Articles Comments

Cooked From the Heart » chicken, Filipino, Lasang Pinoy » LP 15 – Siopao Adobo

LP 15 – Siopao Adobo

Lasang Pinoy, a monthly food blogging event which features Filipino cuisine. The host for this month is Mike of Lafang and he has chosen as the theme: Recycled, Reloaded. For this theme, we will post recipes that have been given a makeover otherwise known as resurrected leftovers.

Adobo is one of the favorite dishes in our house, and it’s easy to make, so we make it often, at least once or twice (sometimes thrice) a month. We often have leftovers as I try to make extra for a second meal. On the last time we made chicken adobo with potatoes, I used more breast pieces than was desired by the family, so I decided to recycle it another way, as siopao.

Siopao is another Chinese recipe adapted by Filipinos. In Chinese restaurants, it is commonly known as sieu bao or baozi and served during dim sum. Basically, it is a steamed bun filled with a savory filling, like barbecued pork. It can also be baked if you don’t have a steamer.

For my recycled adobo version, here is what I did:

FILLING:
Leftover Adobo with potatoes, bones picked out and large pieces shredded
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoons sugar

In a saucepan, heat the cider vinegar and add the sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved, and add the leftover chicken adobo including the potatoes. (I actually liked the potatoes in the filling, it reminded me of empanadas) Mix well and let cook for a few minutes until most of the liquid is reduced and thickened. Set aside to cool while you make the dough.

DOUGH:
This recipe is from an old Chinese Cookbook from Sunset House, one of the first cookbooks I ever bought for myself.
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons salad oil
1 teaspoon salt
About 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; blend in sugar, oil, and salt. Let stand in a warm place until bubbly (about 15 minutes). Add 3 1/4 cups of flour and mix until dough holds together. Place dough on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour and 15 minutes).

After it has doubled, turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 1 minute. Shape into a rectangle. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise 6 times to make 12 equal pieces.

Roll each piece into a round about 4 inches in diameter. Place about 1 tablespoons of filling in the center of each round and pull edges of dough up around the filling and twist to seal. Place each bun, sealed side down on a 3-inch square of wax paper. Let buns rise for another 30 minutes then place them in a steamer and let it steam for 12 to 15 minutes.

Makes 12 buns.

Other siopao recipes from bloggers:
The PinoyCook’s Siopao (includes photos of how to wrap baos)
How to Make Siopao from Entrepinoys
Ajay’s PutoPao
Manang’s Beef Asado Siopao

Filipino Cookbooks

Written by

Filed under: chicken, Filipino, Lasang Pinoy

13 Responses to "LP 15 – Siopao Adobo"

1. Sofia says:

Finally I found a post on this interesting topic, but it was not easy. Are You making any SEO for your blog?
    Sofia recently posted..iPhone phenomen

Hi anonymous, first of all, check that your yeast is alive. The first step in the instructions above:
    “In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; blend in sugar, oil, and salt. Let stand in a warm place until bubbly (about 15 minutes).”
    Serves to check your yeast. If it doesn’t get bubbly within the time, then the yeast is probably dead and will not rise.

Another thing to check is the water temperature. It should be no hotter than the 110 degrees F recommended. Use a temperature if you have to. If the water is too hot, this will also kill the yeast and again, your dough won’t rise.

As for the soggy steaming problem, try not to put too much water in your steamer or have your siopaws too close to the water. When your water is boiling, make sure it’s not boiling too hard. A soft boil or simmer should be hot enough to cook your siopao without getting them soggy.

Hope that helps and good luck!

3. Anonymous says:

Hello to all. I have tried 3 times now to cook siopao. I have problems making the dough rise. When i steam them they seem to absorb water from the steam and makes them very sticky. I tried adding more yeast 2 to 3 packs and added more baking powder but still not effected. Any suggestions?

4. mike says:

hmmm . . . i told our yaya sister vi here that i wanted to do some siopao one of these days . . . and here i am lookin at leftover adobo siopao! yum! thank you for your never-ending support and for joining lasang pinoy 15!

5. Mae says:

I love siopao! I’ve tried making it before from a recipe on google but it didn’t work. I haven’t tried since. I was too exhausted with the experience and was very let down to attempt again. lol.

LOL!! Jules, you are so funny :D “hot white buns” indeed!!

Hi ces, yeah, it actually came out good with the potatoes.

Hi Manang, I did see your siopao! I’ll have to try it next time with the pre made dough. That chicken filling sounds delicious, btw!

Hi Dexie, hehe! sure, send me your address, I may just hand deliver it to you :)

Hi Lani, so far all the siopao recipes I’ve looked at used yeast dough. Practice ka lang, and don’t add all the flour at the same time. Add enough until it forms a ball, then slowly add more as you knead it until you get the right consistensy. Plus, this dough has oil in it, so it becomes beautifully elastic as you knead it. OR, you can try pre-made dough from the store. Pizza dough should work with siopao too.

7. Lani says:

I tried making siopao before but unfortunately, palpak ang dough ko. I don’t know how to use the yeast kaya naging crumbly ang dough. Do you know some siopao dough recipe na hindi na gagamit ng yeast? Frustration ko talaga itong siopao na ito :)

8. iska says:

like all of them i have to give this a try. siopao the way we pinoys love it is not that easy to find here. i still have to get to cantonese restos/fastfood when the craving hits. northern paos taste different.

9. dexie says:

i haven’t had siopao in a loooong time. i’ll have to find courage and time to make this sometime. or you can just mail me some…LOL

10. dexie says:

11. Manang says:

JM, I just finished making siopao filling out of a Jamaican chicken recipe that I revised, where I used soy sauce and orange/lemon juice instead of vinegar. Tasted like adobo/barbecue! I tried making a small empanada using it from leftover pei crust dough of an apple pie I made last night, and it was good! But son requested I make them into siopao instead, so that will be my mission tonight!

12. ces says:

that is such a good idea j! i will have to try this one day…hehe…since i love my adobo, asado style!

13. Jules says:

OMG I love siopao. This is a recipe that I’m going to have to try. I remember when I was about 7 years old, my Auntie Leoning took me to Chinatown and bought me my first siopao to shut me up because I was asking her question after question after question. We continued on our way and she was so preoccupied by the shopping that she hadn’t noticed that I was munching on the wax paper that is always stuck to the bottom of the buns. Nevertheless, even though my paper eating experience was not pleasant, I always have a place in my stomach for some hot white buns hehehe no pun intended.