LP 22 – Rice with Mung Beans Dessert

Photobucket

I have been wanting to try out this dish ever since the English Patis posted the recipe on her website and then put the photo of it on her header, reminding me to make it every time I visited her food blog. This dish, in the Philippines, is called Ginataang Totong or Totong Balatong. Ginataan means it is cooked with coconut milk.My husband loves rice, but sometimes he looks at me aghast how I can eat rice three meals a day, for snacks and also for dessert. I love sweet rice! What can I say. And there is something about the pairing of rice and coconut milk that is just sublime.

So after making Mung Bean Soup not too long ago, I still had some mung (mongo) beans left so one chilly evening, in need of comfort, I decided to make this dessert. This is my entry for Lasang Pinoy 22 – Rice to the Challenge.

This recipe was based on CeliaK’s Ginataang Totong:
1/2 cup Mung beans (mongo), toasted and split
2 cup Sweet Rice (malagkit), cooked
2 cups of Coconut Milk
3/4 cup Sugar or to taste
Water

PhotobucketBecause I didn’t read the recipe first, I went ahead and cooked the sweet rice the usual way with a dash of salt and 1 cup of water for every cup of rice. I then toasted the mung beans until the outside started to brown, then lightly cracked them in a mortar & pestle to loosen the skin and crack the beans in half.

The Clone, my youngest daughter, had fun taking a sieve full of mung beans outside to blow out the loose skin. She actually started inside the house but over the sink and was still making a mess, so we sent her on out. It wasn’t that cold.

So when she came back in with the mung beans, we put all the ingredients in a pot and started stirring it over a medium flame. We cooked it until the beans were cooked thoroughly but still had a bite to it. It took about thirty minutes. If the mixture starts to thicken too much, you can add more water. Cook longer if it’s too watery or not cooked enough. A great part of cooking this dessert is by feel and taste. Some prefer to have a very sweet mixture, I happen to like it a little under sweet so I started with half a cup of sugar and slowly added more according to my taste.

Traditionally, a sweet dessert like this would be served as an afternoon snack, but I can eat this anytime!

This entry was posted in desserts, Filipino, Lasang Pinoy, Rice on by .

About Jeanette Moore (JMom)

11 thoughts on “LP 22 – Rice with Mung Beans Dessert

1. stef

ano ba ‘yan… i’ve read all the entries and now i’ve added 4 things to our menu for next week! this will be dessert on monday! glad we’re not going low-carb here 😀

2. bursky

i think this is one of the rarest foods. i may even fear its extinction if not practiced cooked often. i think i’m gonna cry now. i miss lelut balatung… i really do… 🙁

3. Pingback: Cooked From the Heart » LP 22 Round UP - Rice to the Challenge!

4. JMom Post author

Dhanggit, it’s not too late, just send me your entry. I still have a couple of entries that I haven’t posted 🙁 yikes!

I’ll have the round up posted by this weekend hopefully.

Lalaine, I don’t think there is much difference with the maiz variation. You just won’t have to cook it as long since the maiz doesn’t take as long to cook as the munggo.

Hi Mike, thanks, I just saw your entry. I’ll post the round up soon, promis 🙂

Hi ut-man, I had forgotten about the name lelot balatong! that’s what my aunts called it too.

Hi CeliaK! asan na LP rice mo? 😛
    Yeah, about a kilo of pork is about right. Just make sure you have enough marinade to coat all the meat. You know I never measure the tocino marinade. I just test it after a day in the marinade then adjust the seasonings. Usually it’s the sugar that is always lacking.

Hi Ces! thanks for posting. You just reminded me of latik again 🙂

5. Lalaine

Oh Geez! I was going to try this tonight but I had the sweet rice but no I have no monggo!

I know we also have a maiz variation, any necessary modifications Jmom?

6. Mike

Just like Iska’s ‘Biko’ entry, this is also one of my favourite afternoon meriendas in the province way back when I was a growing up kid. I haven’t eaten this for more than 3 decades (may be more) already! I guess I’ll have to give it a try one of these days . . . 🙂

Congratulations and thank you for hosting this round, Jeanette! Happy New Year, happy blogging in 2008, and see you in the next round!

7. ut-man

Now my childhood food memory is coming back, lelot balatong as we call it in Ilocandia is a regular merienda in the afternoon when I was a kid, my grandma used cook it all the time, yumm… Congratulations! for hosting LP22.

8. celiaK

hi Jmom! I didn’t know that you moved your blog recently ! 🙂
    Love that totong especially now in the winter season.
    I hope you don’t mind I’ll be trying out your delicious tocino recipe. I think the vinegar will hasten or enhance the fermentation of the meats. How much pork should I use for that much marinade? 1 Kilo?

9. ces

yum-oh! after all the holiday spread we’ve pigged out on, it would be nice to have some of this comfort food, huh? shove me anything ginataan, and you won’t be disappointed! great entry J! btw, i just posted mine:)
    Happy New Year of blogging and beyond!