My girls have always liked their spaghetti with the usual bolognese sauce. Their dad doesn’t like sweet spaghetti sauces so I never really made it for them. That is, until now. When we went to the Philippines a couple of years ago, they had a taste of Filipino spaghetti which is on the sweet side and has sliced hotdogs in it. I was afraid they wouldn’t like it, but surprise, surprise, they liked it! So now, once in a while they will ask for ‘spaghetti with hotdogs’, especially The Clone who can eat spaghetti every day.
I must admit, they like my Filipino Spaghetti but they say it’s just not the same as what they had over there but will do. Oh well, I guess I just can’t beat the real thing, can I?
So here’s my version…
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef
- 8 Hotdogs, sliced
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 28-oz. can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 28-oz can Tomato Puree
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 2-3 Tablespoons Sugar, to taste
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot and add the ground beef.
- Cook until it is starting to brown and starting to render its fat. Drain any excess fat and add the onions and garlic.
- Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots and stir in. Add the oregano, the diced tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Let it simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced hotdogs and sugar. When adding the sugar, add it one tablespoon at a time, tasting for sweetness.
- Balance the salt and pepper to taste.
- Remember that the hotdogs, depending on the brand can impart some saltiness.
- You can start cooking your pasta at this point.
- Let the sauce simmer for another 15-20 minutes and serve over spaghetti pasta