LaPiS ~ SQUARE

Roast Pork Cracklings

This has become a regular on our menu ever since we finally figured out how to get that crunchy and sinfully good skin and the fork tender meat. My entry for this week’s Lasang Pinoy Sunday (LaPiS) is a bit late because the weekend got a little hectic, and well, I’m also pre-occupied with reading a novel and couldn’t put it down all weekend. 🙂

The theme for LaPiS this week is SQUARE. As I was looking through my food photos and saw this pork roast with the square pieces of crunch on top and decided that it’s time to re-post the recipe. Here is what we make when we have hankering for some lechon.

Oven Roasted Lechon

Pork Shoulder1 picnic Roast (pork shoulder), 3-6 lbs
4 cloves garlic, halved
2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 cup water

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse the pork and dry well. Score the skin but try not to cut too deeply. If you cut into the meat, you’ll end up with juice ‘runs’ on your cracklings. So try to cut only skin deep. On the underside of the roast where there is no skin, make several slits in the meat where you can insert the pieces of garlic.

In a small bowl, combine the salt and pepper flakes then rub the mixture all over the roast. Place the roast in a roasting pan, skin side up, and pour one cup of water into the pan.

Place the pan in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes. After a 30 minute blast at 400 degrees F, turn the oven temperature down to 300 degrees F.

Go get a good book and a glass of wine and stay out of the kitchen for at least 5 hours. Sound good?

By the time you finish your book, you’ll have a roast so tender that you can practically pull the bone out without cutting the meat. And those cracklings? hmmmm hmmm good! You’ll just have to try it to see how good it is.

The secret is the long roasting time on low temperature so do this when you have some time to let it get good and juicy. Yes, the meat stays moist and juicy, having basted itself with its own fat. yumm!

This SQUARE entry doesn’t really make you all that ‘hip’, but it sure would make you ‘hippy’ if you eat enough of it! 😛 Visit other SQUARE entries to this week’s LaPiS!

15 comments on “LaPiS ~ SQUARE
  1. joey says:

Oh my!!! I have to try this! This will certainly make me moan like a kitten 🙂 I am drooling all over my laptop with the photo!

2. Tracy says:

That looks fantastic! I’ve recently gone back to being mostly vegetarian, but I think that would tempt me as a cheat. My family would devour it.

3. thank you for this, jmom! i’ve been wanting to making lechon kawali but i don’t really want to do it on a kawali! hahaha! i’m so afraid of oil splatters! haha! kaya i really want something i could do in the oven. i will give this a try soon. for easter kaya? 😀

4. Oggi says:

Oooh, crunchy pork skin and tender meat without deep frying, it’s GREAT! *drool*

I will rush to the grocery to get me a big hunk of skin-on pork shoulder.

5. miriam says:

oh wow! gotta try this. my kids will love this; it is so much like lechon kawali which they like. foto is so good, gusto kong kagatin! thanks for the recipe.

6. peachkins says:

pareho tayo ng entry..parehong ma-cholesterol..hahaha

7. Zriz says:

Yummy! I love the crispy skin! Is this the same as lechon kawali? 🙂

8. iska says:

crunch crunch. YUM YUM. love crispy skin and tender, juicy meat 🙂 thanks for the tip!

9. Jescel says:

this looks soooo good.. parang lechon kawali! yum.. nagugutom tuloy ako! :o)

10. Gmirage says:

I have enough calorie overload for this week’s Lapis lol…Square squares! My mom in law makes this too!

Hi Raquel, yes, definitely had some left over for paksiw and some for chopped bbq like husband likes 🙂

Hi Pinky! thank you. It tasted divine too 🙂

Hi CeS! Yep, that’s PurpleGirl’s lechon that I kind of tweaked a little but not by much. OMG, crispy pata!!! if I wasn’t so afraid of frying large chunks of meat, I’d be making that too. lol!

12. ces says:

oooh! i want one now!!! what M does is sort of like Chloe’s, only he fries the pata[for crispy pata] after boiling and broiling! nyamnyam!!!

13. Pinky says:

Oohlala – that roast looks just divine! 🙂

14. raquel says:

wow..i have to try this. i never tried to make homemade lechon because i can’t get the skin crunchy. looks delicious..! any leftovers for paksiw? 🙂