The Girl (my youngest daughter) has been on a bread making spree this summer as she also worked on perfecting her pizza. She made four more loaves of bread yesterday so today, I took the half loaf left over from last weekend’s bread making session and made this baked french toast which my husband says is the same thing as bread pudding (he doesn’t like bread pudding).
No matter what he says, I think this came out really well with the slightly crunchy top and fluffy insides. The girls loved it with pancake syrup drizzled over the top.
- Half loaf of Bread, sliced*
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Brown Sugar
- Butter the baking dish that you intend to use and lay out the bread slices.
- Mix together: eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices.
- Dot the top with pats of butter and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour. Bake until it is nicely browned and it looks like all the milk mixture has been absorbed.
Other baked french toast versions online:
Vanilla baked French Toast from the Skinny Mommy
Baked Berry Cream Cheese French Toast from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Baked Banana French Toast from Bakerella